The ACS Open Access Initiatives consist of four main components:
ACS Central Science:
- ACS Central Science is the American Chemical Society’s first completely open access journal. It will be highly selective and rigorously peer-reviewed and will publish approximately 100-200 articles a year. It will be the first such chemistry-related journal published by a major global scientific society in an open access model.
- All peer-reviewed articles accepted by ACS Central Science will be original to that publication.
- Peer-reviewed articles published in ACS Central Science will be made freely available online immediately upon publication and without article publishing charges to authors.
- The journal is intended to complement the Society’s portfolio of subscription-based journals, for those authors who seek to publish in an open access forum of distinction.
ACS Editors’ Choice
- ACS Editors’ Choice selects, features, and makes openly available one new article a day, from the breadth of ACS’s 40+ peer-reviewed journals. These articles will remain open for all to access and read.
- It is not a separate journal; it is an author and reader service designed to maximize readership and awareness and broadly promote the range of work published by ACS.
- This service began January 1, 2014. Any peer-reviewed articles published in ACS journals qualify for consideration by ACS Editors; authors do not need to specially apply for this program. Articles are available now at www.pubs.acs.org/editorschoice.
ACS Author Rewards
- ACS Author Rewards is a program designed to encourage researchers to participate in open access publishing models in ACS journals during a time when funder and institutional requirements are still in flux and vary widely from country to country or institution to institution.
- Each peer-reviewed article published in any ACS journal during 2014 qualifies the published corresponding author for ACS Author Rewards article credits. For maximum convenience, ACS offers published corresponding authors named on the published article 2 credits that can be redeemed for up to $750 each for ACS AuthorChoice services—a total value of $1,500 per article published in 2014. Credits will be accessible via ACS ChemWorx (www.acschemworx.org) in December 2014 and January 2015 and may be redeemed from January 1, 2015, through December 31, 2017.
- For more information regarding ACS Author Rewards, please visit http://pubs.acs.org/page/4authors/authorrewards/index.html.
- For a fee, ACS AuthorChoice allows authors the ability to sponsor their work to be made openly available to all readers without a subscription. It has been available since 2006. In January 2014, this program added new options, fees, and discounts. Full details can be found on http://pubs.acs.org/page/4authors/authorchoice/index.html.
- ACS AuthorChoice has been expanded to allow authors to choose between immediate availability (ACS AuthorChoice) or availability 12 months after publication (ACSAuthorChoice+12) of final published article (the version of record) with, depending on their preference and funder requirements. ACS AuthorChoice options provide progressive discounts if the corresponding author is a member of the American Chemical Society and/or is affiliated with an institution that subscribes to the ACS All Publications package. In addition, authors may also elect a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) or a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (CC-BY-NC-ND) license.